There is one common theme when I talk to people who have been injured in a car wreck: they don’t know what to do next. They ask the common question what should I do if I’m in a car accident? Most people have never been in this situation before and, if a prior car wreck has happened, most have not suffered any serious injuries as a result. So this is unchartered territory for them.
I make it my job to explain what they should be doing now and what they need to be thinking about when it comes to a jury trial two or three years later. Having never walked this path, personal injury victims have no clue what they should be doing now to prepare for a jury trial. I’ve walked the path before with many clients and if you were injured in a car wreck, you need to educate yourself now so you don’t prejudice your case later. Let me help you.
Here are some ideas that I usually share in the first free consultation with potential personal injury clients about the best course of action after a car wreck.
- Stop and think about what happened. Walk through the events step by step in your mind.
- Call 911 to report the wreck.
- Tell the Trooper or Officer exactly what happened.
- Get checked out by a paramedic and, if you feel any symptoms at all, take them up on their offer to drive you to the ER.
- Get checked out by the ER Doctor or at the very least go to urgent care the next day or so.
- Follow up with your primary care doctor.
- If necessary, go to physical therapy.
- If you are still in pain, don’t give up on a solution! Go back to your primary care doctor.
- If there are no solutions, go to a new doctor for a second opinion.
- Go to a specialist, like an orthopedic doctor, for evaluation.
- Keep every doctors appointment you make or that are made for you.
- Don’t let long periods of time go by without seeking treatment.
- Lastly, hire a qualified personal injury lawyer who can take care of the rest for you so that you don’t have to worry about deadlines and court processes and you can focus on getting better.
These Are just a few of the things you should consider after you are injured in a car wreck. Of course every situation is different and you should consult a qualified personal injury lawyer for all questions that are specific to your case.
If you’d like to meet with me, give me a call or send me an email. My contact information is here or you can submit an internet inquiry and we can set up an appointment to discuss your case.
Have you had any experience with this? Is there anything you would add to this list? Send me an email! I’d love to discuss this with you!