Position: Associate Attorney
This is a support attorney position ideally for a licensed Virginia attorney with no experience up to 2 years of experience. This associate attorney will support an experienced trial lawyer and get to actually go to court in a supporting role. This means meaningfully participating in bench and jury trials, asking witnesses questions, drafting legal documents, drafting legal memoranda, filing pleadings with the court, etc. If you want to be a trial attorney, you will learn every aspect of trial practice.
Ideally, after a training period, the right attorney will be able to take charge as a lead attorney on a book of cases of his or her own.
This position is not for everyone. However, it will be the “perfect” fit for someone.
We are looking for someone who exhibit the qualities of a high caliber human being. We like good people. Candidates should be able to exhibit that he or she is a hard worker, attention to detail, a self-starter but able to follow directions, committed to positive outcomes for our clients, committed to teamwork, conscientious of those around him or her, curious, courageous, competitive, able to respond under pressure, and able to tolerate a degree of ambiguity.
This firm is looking for someone who will thrive on the busy pace and who manage a range of tasks from a variety of sources; someone who is comfortable multi-tasking and single tasking. This person needs to be punctual, disciplined, and dependable. The position calls for someone who is detail oriented and who can execute a busy schedule with ease. We are looking for someone who is a hard worker, who can work well under deadlines with a quick response time.
Here at Osterbind Law, PLLC we want to consistently better ourselves through actively learning, actively listening to clients or others, and critical thinking. The perfect person for this job needs to be an independent problem solver. He or she needs to be solution oriented and be able to run a project until it is completed. This job does require working with clients so someone who is personable, welcoming and good on the phone is preferred.
Lastly, communication is key in this business. We need someone who is good at communication, both oral and written, is an active listener and conducts themselves in a professional manner.
Preparing and Editing Legal Documentation:
• Drafting legal pleadings such as complaints, bills of particular, warrants in debt, etc.
• Drafting discovery requests and responding to discovery requests
• Working with current clients on interrogatories answers
• Drafting and proofreading various legal documents: letters, discovery, pleadings, etc.
• Corresponding and working with governmental agencies
• Interviewing prospective clients
• Interviewing witnesses
• Preparing and editing Legal Documentation
• Arguing legal issues in court
• Presenting personal injury/workers compensation cases to a jury or judge
• Preparing pretrial filings and conducting discovery
Completing Some Administrative Tasks:
• Returning phone calls in a timely manner
• Completing tasks in the case management system
• Creating and editing electronic documents
• Organizing electronic documents
• Calling and emailing various outside contacts: attorneys, paralegals, court staff, etc.
• Attending occasional conferences and seminars
• Reading various books on teamwork and business
• Monthly and/or weekly meetings
Tools and Equipment Used:
• Apple OS
• Electronic Case File Management: including scanning, creating electronic documents and organizing electronic documents
• Google Chat
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
• MyCase Case Management Software
• Office Telephone
Osterbind Law, PLLC is a growing, family run law firm in Lynchburg, Virginia that specializes in injury and disability law. The environment is fast paced and offers a comfortable and collaborative work environment as well as competitive compensation. The associate attorney job will work with a variety of people, mainly attorneys, court staff, paralegals, referral sources, current clients, past clients and potential clients.
The hours will be 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday (business hours) with one hour provided for lunch.
Performance in this position will be evaluated by Hannah Bowie, Esq. and Brandon S. Osterbind, Esq.
Performance will be evaluated on the following:
• Ability to listen to instructions
• Finishing projects in a timely manner
• Quality of work
READY TO APPLY?
You can submit your application via email or by dropping your documents in our dropbox file.
Follow these instructions:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, references, and transcript via email or the “Submit My Application button above.
For email, you must follow these instructions:
• Subject line MUST say: “I’D LOVE TO WORK FOR YOU.”
• Attach a detailed cover letter outlining why YOU are the PERFECT candidate
• Attach a resume
• Optional, but strongly encouraged: writing sample, references from previous employers, college transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable)
Please email your application to: [email protected]
You may call Julia two weeks after mailing your application regarding this position and confirm receipt by calling 434-515-2807.
PLEASE NOTE: if you would like your application to remain confidential from your current employer, please include this in the cover letter.
If you can’t follow these directions, then you probably won’t get a call back for an interview.
We will be flexible on the start date for the right candidate, so start at a date most convenient for you.