Position: Paralegal/Legal Assistant
Hourly pay: $12-19 per hour depending on experience; raises and bonuses based on performance
This is a higher-level position providing paralegal support and legal assistance in a law firm setting with friendly, but focused attorneys. This position is not for everyone. However, it will be the “perfect” fit for someone.
We are looking for someone who exhibits all of these qualities, preferably with experience in a law firm specializing in personal injury or disability. However, we will allow exceptions for the right person.
This firm is looking for someone who will thrive on the busy pace and who manage a range of tasks from a variety of sources. Someone who is punctual, disciplined and dependable. We are looking for someone who is a hard worker, who can work well under deadlines with a quick response time.
Here at Osterbind Law, PLLC we want to consistently better ourselves through actively learning, actively listening to clients or attorneys, and critical thinking. The perfect person for this job needs to be an independent problem solver. They need to be solution-oriented and be able to run a project until it is completed. This job does require working with clients so someone who is personable, welcoming and good on the phone is preferred. Lastly, communication is key in this business. We need someone who is good at communication, both oral and written, is an active listener and conducts themselves in a professional manner.
Preparing and Editing Legal Documentation:
- Drafting and responding to written discovery
- Drafting and proofreading complaints, legal briefs, etc.
- Drafting and proofreading various legal documents: letters, discovery, pleadings, etc.
Preparing Case for Trial:
- Investigating facts, laws, and searching public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action.
- Gathering and analyzing statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, documents, and other data.
- Reviewing and organizing medical records.
- Helping prepare for trial by organizing exhibits and assisting with other tasks as needed.
- Calling on witnesses to testify at hearings.
- Scanning documents
- Creating electronic documents
- Organizing electronic documents
- Calling and emailing various outside contacts: attorneys, paralegals, court staff, etc.
- Scheduling appointments, court events, and depositions.
- Attending occasional conferences and seminars
- Reading various books on teamwork and business
- Monthly case status meetings
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Apple OS
- Electronic Case File Management: including scanning, creating electronic documents and organizing electronic documents
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- MyCase Case Management Software
- Office Telephone
Osterbind Law, PLLC is a growing, family-run law firm in Lynchburg, Virginia that specializes in injury and disability law. The environment is fast-paced and offers a comfortable and collaborative work environment as well as competitive compensation. The paralegal/legal assistant job will work with a variety of people, mainly attorneys, court staff, paralegals, referral sources, current clients, past clients, and potential clients. The hours will be 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday (business hours) with one hour provided for lunch.
Performance in this position will be evaluated by Brandon Osterbind, Esq. and Hannah Bowie, Esq. Performance will be evaluated on the following:
- Ability to listen to instructions
- Finishing projects in a timely manner
- Quality of work
READY TO APPLY?
Follow these instructions:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, references, and transcript via USPS (snail mail) and email. Email must follow these instructions:
- Subject line MUST say: “I’D LOVE TO WORK FOR YOU.”
- Attach a detailed cover letter outlining why YOU are the PERFECT candidate
- Attach a resume
- Optional, but strongly encouraged: writing sample, references from previous employers, college transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable)
You may call Julia two weeks after mailing your application regarding this position and confirm receipt by calling 434-515-2807.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also mail your application to this exact address:
Osterbind Law, PLLC
Private & Confidential
ATTN: Hannah Bowie, Esq.
1216 Greenview Dr., Suite A
Lynchburg, Virginia 24502
PLEASE NOTE: If you would like your application to remain confidential from your current employer, please include this in the cover letter.
If you can’t follow these directions, then you probably won’t get a call back for an interview.
We will be flexible on the start date for the right candidate, so start at a date most convenient for you.